Monday, September 14, 2009

Simple Scones

I watch the Barefoot Contessa during Dominic's naptime and she got me ALL in a tizzy about her strawberry scones yesterday. They were on my mind ALL day yesterday and today. All I wanted was a warm, buttery, subtly sweet biscuit with some tea! Her recipe is simple as it is, but I made it even simpler. Granted, these are not the truest scones fit for the Queen, but my Americanized version hit the spot for me in a pinch!

*2.5 cups flour (I used bisquick)
*1/2 cup sugar
*1/2 stick butter melted
*1/2 cup milk (heavy whipping cream is more rich, vanilla or lemon yogurt also yields an interesting flavor and texture)
* A handful of whatever you have on hand (raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips, blueberries - I used lemon zest!)
*Last minute idea for flavor if you have nothing: add 2 tsp almond, vanilla or rum extract
*Stir everything together and drop spoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet (roll into triangles if desired ;)
*Bake on 425 for 10-15 mins
*Pour a tall glass of milk or your favorite tea and enjoy!

I've got 12 happy scones out on a plate cooling, and they're going fast! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment