This is a traditional Lithuanian soup. I am hoping my Mother in Law and my gourmand Sister in Law will add in their comments and modifications. This soup is also a favorite in our household!
* 8 cups cold buttermilk
* 1 medium cucumber, sliced into thick matchsticks
* 3 medium beets, boiled, peeled, and cut into thick matchsticks
* 2 eggs, hardboiled, sliced into matchstick shapes (as best you can!)
* 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
* 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
* salt and pepper
Garnish: chopped fresh dill
Whisk the buttermilk in a large bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients. You may add cold water or ice cubes if the soup is too rich or thick for your tastes.